The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

Rev 2 Tips and Tricks!

Re: Rev 2 Tips and Tricks!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »
I made a nice little discovery last night. With Ring Mod on and tuning set all the way down to 0 or 1, you can get some really nice tremolo effects. In conjunction with the mix knob it adds a little something extra that's different from only modulating the Amplifier or Panning settings. Also, turning Keytracking on makes the speed of the trem vary depending on the lowest note played. This makes for a very dynamic and inspiring effect! I discovered this with a simple EP sort of patch and it really turned the patch into something wonderful.
I might be talking to myself here but if anyone would like a copy of these patches I can upload them  :D

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
I made a nice little discovery last night. With Ring Mod on and tuning set all the way down to 0 or 1, you can get some really nice tremolo effects. In conjunction with the mix knob it adds a little something extra that's different from only modulating the Amplifier or Panning settings. Also, turning Keytracking on makes the speed of the trem vary depending on the lowest note played. This makes for a very dynamic and inspiring effect! I discovered this with a simple EP sort of patch and it really turned the patch into something wonderful.
I might be talking to myself here but if anyone would like a copy of these patches I can upload them  :D
Very nice tip thank you, and let one of the LFOs add periodically 1 or 2 to FX parameter 1 gives a nice weird random character to the tremolo effect  :)
DSI Prophet Rev2 and Evolver desktop, Waldorf Blofeld, Roland System-1, Korg Microstation, Nord Rack 2, Akai S5000, Dato DUO, Elektron Digitone, Deepmind12D, Bitwig v1 and v2. Almost daw-less...

https://soundcloud.com/user-252754541
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1QKocb4H6mNRVJ01qyqd4B

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
Of course, and thank you! That's a great idea, I'll have to give it a go tonight  :)

I don't have the synth in front of me to try it out right now, but I'd imagine assigning Note Number to the Ring Mod tuning with a small amount would also wield some interesting results. Or velocity. Perhaps an envelope too! One of the things I love about the Rev 2 is that it has almost none of the limitations I had with my previous synths. I can make just about anything I can dream up and that is a truly wonderful thing!

It seems that the ring mod effect has some movement within the stereo spectrum that gives the effect a little bit more depth. I think I'll be using this quite a bit in the future.

Very nice tip thank you, and let one of the LFOs add periodically 1 or 2 to FX parameter 1 gives a nice weird random character to the tremolo effect  :)

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 06:14:46 AM »
Hi,

I just figured out this little trick:
When you deactivate both oscillators and use the filter to generate a sine with keytrack to 64 and resonance beyond self oscillation you can fine tune the filter by turning up the oscillator mix knob. Setting an LFO to OSC mix turned up to 64 makes some nice little vibrator effect.

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
I guess most of you guys like to keep your tricks secret   ;)

Even if you just have some old standard analog sound design tricks, I'd love to hear them!

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthrecipes/comments/3ex4ay/everything_in_its_right_place/

I came across this write-up about recreating the synth sound from Radiohead's Everything in its Right Place. I was able to make a patch I really liked from it, similar enough to the recorded sound, which is quite simple anyway, but this is the interesting part. At the end of the post you'll find this bit:
---
 If you’d like to mix in a dash of Rhodes authenticity, you can use a second oscillator to recreate the super-high pitched Rhodes tine noise. You can use a thin pulse wave or a triangle wave, and set the interval two octaves, nine half steps, and 50 cents above the main oscillator (this is the same as 33 half steps and 50 cents). You’ll want to fine tune the mix level. You might also need to open up the cutoff frequency to let that little guy through.
---

Do you mind posting your synth settings?  I'm struggling with getting this patch to sound authentic on the Rev2.  It's coming through the filter way to bright.  I love this Radiohead sound and have been trying to recreate it on this synth.