The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

JUMP patch tutorial?

Re: JUMP patch tutorial?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 02:28:40 PM »
I guess I'm out of my league on this one.

Not playing Jump every other day?   ;D

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
No.  I seem to have misplaced my Van Halen collection.  I thought it was right next to my AC/DC cassettes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:43:17 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
No.  I seem to have misplaced my Van Halen collection.  I thought it was right next to my AC/DC cassettes.

Funny, but I'm just now "discovering" AC/DC! I was a proud rock-hating, new wave teen back in the day, and pointedly rejected most anything I considered "rock." But I couldn't resist learning "Jump," right? That synth riff is just a brilliant hook, and it bridged a gap for me between the music I hated and the music I loved. Truth is, anything with a synth in caught my attention, even if otherwise it wasn't my thing. But yeah - I'm going back now and giving all sorts of music a second glance. My mid-life crisis seems to involve rebelling against my teenage anti-rock rebellion!

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
Now there's a twist: mid-life being a rebellion against the teenage years!  I suspect when you're an old man, Ant, you'll be nursing.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:06:54 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 03:11:47 PM »
Now there's a twist: mid-life being a rebellion against the teenage years!  I suspect when you're an old man, Ant, you'll be nursing.  ;D

I shall not comment on your comment, for fear of revealing far too much to the world!

Yeah, I'm having a curious time suddenly enjoying much music I once despised. And at the same time, as I posted elsewhere, I'm digging back into the music I made in those not-very-heady teenage synthy days. I still listen often enough to so much of the stuff I liked as a kid - my tastes in music tend to expand, it seems. So Gary Numand and Ultravox have come back to haunt in a wonderful way, while new weird and normal musics get scribbled onto lists.

And, sure, I wish I'd written the "Jump" riff - why not!

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
Jump lead and riff on Prophet 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1RDgS9fhI4
Prophet 6, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Moog Sub 37, Tempest Drum Computer, Roland V Piano, Vogel CMI Fairlight Pro App, Kurzweil K2600XS, Korg Kronos, Roland FA-08, Baldwin Upright Piano, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson Chet Atkins SST, Jackson King V, Ibanez Jem, Roger Linn Adrenalinniii

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »
It's just a slight modification of the Brass Ensemble patch that was preset A1 on the OBXa. You can find PDF copies of the obxa patch book on the net. Why anyone would make a 16 voice layered version on the Rev2 is strange.
There was already a very good version that was made for the Prophet 08. It was posted a few times in the old forum.

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 06:29:04 AM »
Here is the patch sheet. Sorry it's a little dark. It was taken on my iPad and my studio live room is not exceptionally bright.

Pidcin

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
Here is the patch sheet. Sorry it's a little dark. It was taken on my iPad and my studio live room is not exceptionally bright.

NEAT!

Hows you get a hold of this?

Pidcin

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »
Wait , never mind ... I guess you own one! Muaha

Any chance you can record a little clip of it on your IPAD? And put it up an unlisted YouTube video for us to check ?

Do you have the prophet 6? Could you try to recreate it with the prophet 6?

Pidcin

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »

I shall not comment on your comment, for fear of revealing far too much to the world!

Yeah, I'm having a curious time suddenly enjoying much music I once despised. And at the same time, as I posted elsewhere, I'm digging back into the music I made in those not-very-heady teenage synthy days. I still listen often enough to so much of the stuff I liked as a kid - my tastes in music tend to expand, it seems. So Gary Numand and Ultravox have come back to haunt in a wonderful way, while new weird and normal musics get scribbled onto lists.

And, sure, I wish I'd written the "Jump" riff - why not!

Its funny how instruments can make you appreciate music ... I found myself head banging to Miley Cyrus wrecking ball! Such amazing synth worth in there too!

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 06:22:19 AM »
I quickly put the patch from the picture into my Oberheim Xpander, it sounds very authentic with a bit of Eventide H3000 preset 519 added. The H3000 apparently only launched in 1986, but 519 is based on the H910, which was around in 1984. Back in 1984, people probably would have thrown you out of the synth store if you played the Jump patch (again) :-)

So this patch is basically 2 heavily detuned saws with a subtle chorus added?

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 06:39:33 AM »

Any chance you can record a little clip of it on your IPAD? And put it up an unlisted YouTube video for us to check ?

I'll be trying this weekend. :)
Prophet 6, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Moog Sub 37, Tempest Drum Computer, Roland V Piano, Vogel CMI Fairlight Pro App, Kurzweil K2600XS, Korg Kronos, Roland FA-08, Baldwin Upright Piano, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson Chet Atkins SST, Jackson King V, Ibanez Jem, Roger Linn Adrenalinniii

Pidcin

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »

I'll be trying this weekend. :)

Very cool man! Please keep me updated