The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

OB-6 channelAT vs polyAT? Any examples?

buchlabum

• west coast synthesis please...
OB-6 channelAT vs polyAT? Any examples?
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:43:14 PM »
Just starting to do some research into the OB-6 module and I believe it can handle polyAT, but the keyboard version does channel AT. 

Anyone try using an OB-6 with a polyAT controller?  Is it a world of difference? 

Anyone have any examples of something they recorded with a polyAT controller?

Re: OB-6 channelAT vs polyAT? Any examples?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:18:00 AM »
Hi!
Earlier today after updating my MPC Live and trying to find out if they fixed the broken channel aftertouch, I found that it (And MPC X) sends poly-AT from the pads, can't believe I missed that when reading the user manual. I made some quick tests and at least for pads and "neurofunk-like" growls etc. it works wonderfully. I have to create some patches specifically for poly-at to get a better understanding of it's capabilities, but it can get pretty wild and weird.

Got my keyboard version of OB-6 two weeks ago, last week I learned that it responds to poly-at and today this! As soon as I get good enough results I'll record it and post a link.

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:35:22 AM »
All of our polyphonic synths respond to Polyphonic Key Pressure messages via MIDI. None of our instruments support Channel Pressure on a per-voice basis. This would require a fully multitimbral architecture.

Here's a concise article explaining the difference between Channel Aftertouch and Polyphonic Key Pressure:
http://www.audiomasterclass.com/newsletter/the-difference-between-channel-aftertouch-and-polyphonic-aftertouch

In essence, if you want to control one of our polyphonic instruments with per-note articulation, you will want to transmit Polyphonic Key Pressure messages to the instrument.

In the OB-6 specifically, any destination you set in the dedicated Aftertouch section will be affected by Polyphonic Key Pressure messages transmitted to the synth.
Dave Smith Instruments

buchlabum

• west coast synthesis please...
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:42:33 PM »
All??  :D
Very cool.   I just got an Ensoniq VFX-sd delivered today, getting ready to go home and try using the polyAT with the OB-6, and now I'm wondering if the Tempest could be used as a polyAT controller with the MPC mention.  Makes sense it would.

The main thing I've been finding limiting is for example, how down a bass note, then a chord an octave up or so.  Now with the channel AT, I can't use aftertouch to individually sweep the filters (or modulate whatever), so if I want my bass note to modulate (like a filter freq. warble or something), but my chord to not modulate, can't be done.  But polyAT, should be able to do this.    Another level of gestural control.  :D

Damn, getting geeked just thinking about trying this idea/method out this weekend.