The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

MEK version help

MEK version help
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »
 Hi,

Im about to buy a MEK, and the seller listed it as PE upgrade but from the sound of it he doesn't seem so sure.

He says some of the knobs are encoders and some are pots. Is that true for the PE version?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: MEK version help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Hi,

Im about to buy a MEK, and the seller listed it as PE upgrade but from the sound of it he doesn't seem so sure.

He says some of the knobs are encoders and some are pots. Is that true for the PE version?

Thanks in advance for any help!

That's true. In the picture below, all knobs with a line on top are potentiometers, all knobs without a line on top are encoders. None of that had any influence on the sound.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:36:08 PM by Paul Dither »
Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 (macOS) | Arturia BeatStep Pro | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Model 15 App | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition | Sequential Prophet-6

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 02:26:53 PM »
Also note that the PE conversion doesn't automatically mean the Prophet-style knobs were purchased as shown in the picture. Those are available separately, so it's possible to have the PE conversion with the smaller, all-black rubber knobs.

In that case, an easy way to tell is to turn the filter frequency knob and see if it spins endlessly or if it has approximately 300 degrees of rotation and stops at either end. If it spins endlessly it's an encoder, and the PE conversion was not installed. If it stops at either end it's a potentiometer and the MEK does have the PE conversion.
Dave Smith Instruments

buchlabum

• west coast synthesis please...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
Do only the earlier Evolves have encoder issues?  I got MEK with encoders, I was worried some would be flaky, but they all seem to be fine as long as I don't try to spin them like a top.

I do like the pots on my Rev2 and Pro2, but should I wait until they start failing before I upgrade to the pots?  I was going to do it, but saw traces have to be cut and tiny SMT components are removed.  I'm not afraid of soldering, but don't want to break it by fixing it when it's not broken.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »
Do only the earlier Evolves have encoder issues?  I got MEK with encoders, I was worried some would be flaky, but they all seem to be fine as long as I don't try to spin them like a top.

I do like the pots on my Rev2 and Pro2, but should I wait until they start failing before I upgrade to the pots?  I was going to do it, but saw traces have to be cut and tiny SMT components are removed.  I'm not afraid of soldering, but don't want to break it by fixing it when it's not broken.

It's a whole board replacement, not just components: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/mono-evolver-keyboard-pe-conversion-kit/ and no traces need to be modified or cut, according to the instructions.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:53:13 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI / Pioneer stuff: Prophet-12 desktop, Pro-2, AS-1, Prophet-600 Gligli, Prophet 2000

buchlabum

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
It's a whole board replacement, not just components: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/mono-evolver-keyboard-pe-conversion-kit/ and no traces need to be modified or cut, according to the instructions.

But this video, right around the 6 minute mark, shows him desoldering a SMT resistor from the voice board. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGrAF50ztvc

The rest looks easy, I was surprised how easy the Rev2 desktop's 8 voice expansion was, just need fingers and a screwdriver.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:48:46 PM »
Correct, the mainboard needs a cap and resistor removed, and then a jumper installed in place of the resistor. After that it's an OS update via MIDI and removing/replacing the panel boards with a screwdriver.

Not ever unit is guaranteed to experience poor encoders. Also it's possible the encoders were replaced since we offer that service too. Are the encoders detented (with soft click) or non-detented (smooth, no click)? If they are detented we've replaced them, and if they are non-detented they are original.
Dave Smith Instruments

buchlabum

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »
Not ever unit is guaranteed to experience poor encoders. Also it's possible the encoders were replaced since we offer that service too. Are the encoders detented (with soft click) or non-detented (smooth, no click)? If they are detented we've replaced them, and if they are non-detented they are original.

They are the detented.  No problems with them so far.  But I do prefer how the pots feel on the rev2 and pro2.  But why fix it if it isn't broken, I'll hold off on the pots upgrade.  Thanks for the info on the difference between the encoders.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
If they are detented we definitely replaced them, with ALPS encoders so it's unlikely they'll fail for a long time.
Dave Smith Instruments

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:10:51 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like it is the PE upgrade, and i pulled the trigger. Just waiting for it to be delivered now  :D