The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

Help Understanding Paraphonic Mode

ARNK

Help Understanding Paraphonic Mode
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »
When the PRO 2 is set to Paraphonic mode, and you have oscillators 1-4 set to Sawtooth at 71 volume.

What should I expect to hear pressing one key, the same key, four times in a row? My understanding was that I would hear oscillators 1 on the first hit, 2 on the second hit, 3 on the third, and so on. Is this assumption correct?

Because when I attempt this, it only appears to cycle between oscillators 1 and 4, so back and forth between 1 and 4 without oscillators 2 and 3. I checked this by changing oscillator shape on to Super Saw and 4 to Muted. 2 and 3 to Sawtooth, and as I play the same note repeatedly, it jumps only between the Super Saw and Muted oscillators.

A bit confused as to why that might be happening. Thanks in advance.

Re: Help Understanding Paraphonic Mode
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:51:54 AM »
Your assumption of how the paraphonic mode should work is correct. With each key stroke, the cycle between oscilltors 1-4 is advanced one step. So the behaviour you described is unusual. Even if oscillators 2 and 3 were set to a zero output level, you should hear nothing twice when you hit the keys.
Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 (macOS) | Arturia BeatStep Pro | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Model 15 App | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition | Sequential Prophet-6

ARNK

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
Your assumption of how the paraphonic mode should work is correct. With each key stroke, the cycle between oscilltors 1-4 is advanced one step. So the behaviour you described is unusual. Even if oscillators 2 and 3 were set to a zero output level, you should hear nothing twice when you hit the keys.

Gotcha. Oi, have a ticket into support.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 01:32:20 PM »
Check your filter settings as well.

All four OSCs plus the subosc live on the same DSP IIRC, so there's probably only two DAC channels (and one IC) to feed each of the two filters (when set to parallel, OSC 1+2 go to filter 1, OSC 3+4 go to filter 2); if you have OSC 1 and OSC 4, even when split, then I doubt it's a hardware problem.

In fact–checking this on mine–it's likely that you're hearing 2-3-4-1, with 3-4 set as silent.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:41:17 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI / Pioneer stuff: Prophet-12 desktop, Pro-2, AS-1, Prophet-600 Gligli, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
sorry - meant Oscillator Split.
Sequential / DSI / Pioneer stuff: Prophet-12 desktop, Pro-2, AS-1, Prophet-600 Gligli, Prophet 2000

ARNK

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »

Thanks for your response, but it's definitely still unclear.

If you had a moment, would you mind listing the steps you're taking to reach your conclusion?

Perhaps I'm just not understanding.

So for me, say you have things setup in Paraphonic Mode, with all 4 oscillators set at 100 volume.

1. Osc 1 is a Super Saw
2. Osc 2 is a Sine
3. Osc 3 is a Tines
4. Osc 4 is Gothic

No matter if I have Oscillator Split on/off, Filter 1 or 2 off, I only hear 2 of the 4 oscillators while hitting the C2 key (for example) repeatedly, not all 4 oscillators, each with a wave shape established and a volume level set.

So either I'm not understanding how this should actually work, I have the synth configured incorrect, or hopefully not the case, there's something wrong with the board itself.

Kind regards

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 11:57:19 PM »

Thanks for your response, but it's definitely still unclear.

If you had a moment, would you mind listing the steps you're taking to reach your conclusion?

Perhaps I'm just not understanding.

So for me, say you have things setup in Paraphonic Mode, with all 4 oscillators set at 100 volume.

1. Osc 1 is a Super Saw
2. Osc 2 is a Sine
3. Osc 3 is a Tines
4. Osc 4 is Gothic

No matter if I have Oscillator Split on/off, Filter 1 or 2 off, I only hear 2 of the 4 oscillators while hitting the C2 key (for example) repeatedly, not all 4 oscillators, each with a wave shape established and a volume level set.

So either I'm not understanding how this should actually work, I have the synth configured incorrect, or hopefully not the case, there's something wrong with the board itself.

Kind regards

That still doesn't sound right. To be on the safe side though: Initiate the basic program (hold down the left LATCH button and press HOLD), go to the MISC PARAMS menu to activate paraphonic mode, set the volume level for each oscillator to 100, and finally select a waveform for each oscillator. Do nothing else. If the problem persists, you should get in touch with the technical support at support@davesmithinstruments.com.
Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 (macOS) | Arturia BeatStep Pro | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Model 15 App | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition | Sequential Prophet-6

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:29:16 AM »
This could be caused by a MIDI feedback loop. Remove all MIDI/USB cables and see if you get the same results.
Dave Smith Instruments

ARNK

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:32:11 PM »
Hmm, okay thanks guys. Your comments mirrored supports, before in Global settings #11 - MIDI Out Select was set to USB. When I unplugged both the MIDI cable AND the USB cable, things worked as expected. When I plugged back in the USB chord and the MIDI cable (in MIDI Out) then changed the MIDI Out Select to MIDI it's now working as expected.

I'm not sure why this would be but definitely a step in the right direction. Thanks for your input!