The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

Strymon BigSky + OB-6

Jdoo

Strymon BigSky + OB-6
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
While the built-in effects of the OB-6 are great... for me, they fell short for in the reverb area.  I've wanted a 'real' reverb unit for a long while now, and a couple of videos recently convinced me to give the Strymon BigSky a trry.   So a couple of weeks ago I picked one up through Sweetwater... yikes.  What a difference for pads / strings / ambient stuff.  They are pricey, but there's a good reason for that.  It is loaded, with multiple 'reverb machines' - each with unique settings / effects to what youre sending through it.  There's plenty written up about the BigSky .. so I'm not reviewing it per se - but mostly posted, to say... it augments the OB in an incredible way.

The first unit I was sent, was DOA.   Sweetwater sent out a replacement system, which I received a few days later, along with mailing packaging / routing for the return.  Was really a pain-free transaction, and two thumbs up for Sweetwater's service.

I routed the BigSky on an Aux send from my mixer, and have used it with everything I have.  It's really a fantastic unit, and though I am still learning my way around it - it's pretty easy to hone in on effects / timbres that you're looking for.  Anyway -- highly recommend, if you're looking to sweeten up the sound of your OB-6 or other gear.. give the Strymon BigSky a look.

Here is the video that initial sold me on the BigSky.  Of Note:  It took about 2 minutes to dial in the patch, on both the Strymon and the OB-6.  Seriously ... easily done. I used a string-brass patch I had on my OB, and lengthened the attack / decay... and modified a BigSky 'Sloud' reverb machine to match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNA5PSOlV7U

Also - there's a Peter Dyer - Strymon BigSky Reverb synth demo on YouTube.. that I used for inspiration (and it gives you a good idea of other keyboard-related timbre-altering reverbs you can get out of the BigSky.

Joe (no affiliation with Strymon . . . just passing on my opinion ) :)

Re: Strymon BigSky + OB-6
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
Ahh Reverb, got to love it. I find the OB's verb works sometimes. The lo-fi one, I forget what it's called right now, but I've achieved some nice smaller spaces with that one. I usually use UAD's reverbs though. I absolutely love the Lexi 224, AMS 16, EMT Plates 140 and 250. The AKG plate is next on my list. That thing is on another level for software verb. Their tape echoes are really good too. Tons of character.

Sweetwater does it right when you have to send something back. When I got my Sub37 it had to go back due to a slightly crooked keyboard and mod wheel panel. I sent it out on a Monday and got the replacement the next day. Couldn't believe it. Not even 24 hours.

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> JD-XI <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
Thought the same thing when I got my REV2. All the effects do the trick aside from the most important one, the reverb, which is why I bought the newly released Boss RV-500. It truly does bring an extra dimension to an already stellar sounding synth. 

Jdoo

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »
Thought the same thing when I got my REV2. All the effects do the trick aside from the most important one, the reverb, which is why I bought the newly released Boss RV-500. It truly does bring an extra dimension to an already stellar sounding synth.
Yeah, it was reverb that I was shooting for too.  I gave the RV-500 a look, but was snagged on a couple of the synth+BigSky videos.  I could have gone either way, but in the end - it was some of the Strymons reverb++ machines (Cloud, Chorale, and the delays in Magneto) that pushed me over the edge.  The RV-500 sounds incredible too, from the bits I've heard.