The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

Are you happy with keyboard velocity in the OB-6?

Are you happy with keyboard velocity in the OB-6?
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Right from the start, I found that keyboard velocity was the weakest point in the OB6. Unfortunately, with this synth, I find it impossible to play a succession of soft notes at the same loudness level. It always sounds very uneven. Also, I am not able to go evenly from softer notes to louder notes.

I played around with the 7 different velocity curves (OS 1.1.4) but I don't get satisfying results with any of them. In the end I settled for curve 5 which only generates velocity values between 50 and 127. That means losing almost half of all velocity values, but at least I don't get those annoying jumps between softer and louder notes.

I am guessing the problem with the OB6 is not in the keyboard itself because using an external master keyboard doesn't help much. I think the problem must be in the way velocity values are translated into VCA and cutoff frequency values.

Is anyone else unhappy with keyboard velocity? Do you think using an external keyboard makes a difference?

I wonder if this is something that DSI could improve with a future OS update.

Re: Are you happy with keyboard velocity in the OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
Can't tell you about velocity,  but I do know that using my PO8 keyboard into the OB6 yields a much smoother (linear) aftertouch.
DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Prophet 8,  Pro-2, OB6

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1