The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

Drop outs on 8 voice model

Drop outs on 8 voice model
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »
I have noticed the when "too many" notes are being played; either in poly or unison, I've been getting notes that won't trigger. Has anyone else seen this?

I do realize these are new and the ones in the wild are few, but I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks

Bill

Re: Drop outs on 8 voice model
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
Hi Bill, please contact our dedicated technical support channel by emailing support at davesmithinstruments dot com. We'll help you troubleshoot to figure out exactly what's occurring.
Dave Smith Instruments

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 04:38:18 AM »
I have noticed the when "too many" notes are being played; either in poly or unison, I've been getting notes that won't trigger. Has anyone else seen this?

I do realize these are new and the ones in the wild are few, but I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks

Bill

Curious if this was from a factory patch doing this or one you made? If it was factory, could be the way the patch is constructed and simply running out of voices on the 8-voice version

please post again to let us know how this turns out when it's resolved

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
Hi Bill, please contact our dedicated technical support channel by emailing support at davesmithinstruments dot com. We'll help you troubleshoot to figure out exactly what's occurring.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up finding another issue with it. The Modulation Select knob was shorting out. When you dial in the destination it changed when the knob/pot was tapped. It appeared to have a short in it, the other knobs/pots were wiggly, but none of them exhibited this issue.

I returned it to GC Sherman Oaks and upgraded to the 16 voice. A win/win. Have yet to unbox the new 16 to check it out.

I'll report back shortly and of course if there's any further issues, contact technical support.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Bill

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »

Thanks

Bill

Curious if this was from a factory patch doing this or one you made? If it was factory, could be the way the patch is constructed and simply running out of voices on the 8-voice version

please post again to let us know how this turns out when it's resolved

This was noticed in unison and poly factory patches. I haven't opened my replacement 16 voice yet to check it.

Bill

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:01:41 PM »
So far no drop outs on the 16 voice model.

I also noticed that the pots seem to behave better on this unit. The program pot is much more accurate.

Maybe that unit was not QC'd well.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »

I also noticed that the pots seem to behave better on this unit. The program pot is much more accurate.

Bill

what serial number was the last one and the current one? i have #32 and everything seems fine so far

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »

Bill

what serial number was the last one and the current one? i have #32 and everything seems fine so far

Not sure what the 8 voice was, but I think the new 16 is 99. I'd have to check when I get home as I haven't registered it yet. Didn't register the 8, due to those issues cropping up.

Bill

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »

Thanks

Bill

I just got my Rev2 8-voice desktop last week, and while I love it to death, I think I am having a similar issue;  when I am playing and change patches (all factory patches at this point, no time to program anything yet) I encounter notes that simply won't trigger. It seems that if I wait a moment, or release the key and play again then the note will trigger - it almost feels like the previous patch has not 'released' all the voices...

Happens playing chords or single notes.

Master KBD is a Yamaha KX88 going through an MJC8 MIDI junction control.

Anyway, an odd behavior, I too am curious if anyone else is seeing this...

Cheers,
KS

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 06:47:15 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. The first thing to do is to make sure you're on the latest OS: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-prophet-rev2-os/

If you are on, or go up to, 1.1.0.3 and still encounter problems, please contact us through our dedicated technical support channel.
Dave Smith Instruments

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the info about the OS; it seems my unit is running 1.1.0.1, so I shall head off to update-land and see if that solves my issue.  Beautiful synth, great support - thank you DSI!