The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

Soundtower for OB-6 - My experience with it..

Re: Soundtower for OB-6 - My experience with it..
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »
Well I heard back from Soundtower, not sure how some people have got the demo transmitting , bc the demo has that disabled.

From their email, this is how the demo is limited

- Parameter editing disabled
- Saving and loading files disabled
- Writing programs to OB-6
- Transmitting is disabled.
This means that you cannot really do anything other to make sure that you are able to establish proper MIDI communication between the synth and the Editor and preview all the Editor's features.

Of course I couldn't find this info on the site as it seems a bit half assed, but hopefully the editor isn't.
So basically even though they recommend you test it with the demo on their site, they admit you can't in a customer support email ?

In short I probably don't trust their business as you cannot get a refund if it doesn't work, but you can't test that in demo mode.
Doesn't inspire confidence does it.

Edit: missed pls last posts, so basically it's ok for everybody but effects don't display ? Is this still beta ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:22:39 PM by h4ndcrafted »

Jdoo

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »
Edit: missed pls last posts, so basically it's ok for everybody but effects don't display ? Is this still beta ?

Well... they display..  Just the wrong effect.   :o   Actually, I saves the right value / effect that is on your OB, but the GUI has the wrong text, in it's display. 

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »
In short I probably don't trust their business as you cannot get a refund if it doesn't work, but you can't test that in demo mode.
Doesn't inspire confidence does it.

Seems odd they would even have a demo mode if you can't test basic parameter sending. Why didn't they make it time-limited instead of feature limited? I've had issues with communication to my devices while using these kinds of programs before, so I'd like to know it will work before I buy...

Jdoo

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 06:43:14 PM »

Seems odd they would even have a demo mode if you can't test basic parameter sending. Why didn't they make it time-limited instead of feature limited? I've had issues with communication to my devices while using these kinds of programs before, so I'd like to know it will work before I buy...

Yeah... the only thing you really can do with the demo, is verify communications from your OB *to* the SoundTower editor.  It's a way of at least, seeing that there is 'some' level of comms working.  A few folks have used the SoundTower free version, to take screen snapshots of settings for patches. It isn't anywhere near a working demo though, as the better functions are hobbled.  I agree - a time-limited demo would have been better.  Way better.

Update from me... At 3-4 months, I still get a ton of use from the SoundTower editor.  As an example - this past weekend,  I picked up Luke Neptune's latest library of sounds ( was very nice set... a lot of usable stuff ).  I only wanted to load a couple of handfuls of the sounds onto my OB though.  The ST librarian, made it easy to demo sounds, and move the 'keepers' into specific locations of my OB.  I've organized the sounds on my OB by genre, so it's helpful to have a GUI where I can see / manage patch names.   Just that feature.. saved me a load of grief / guesswork, moving stuff manually with the SysEx Librarian. 

Other features of the SoundTower are still a blast to use.. (the Sound Generators are cool).   In fact.. I have a set of sounds that I have generated (Pads, Brass, Effects), using the Generators for initial inspiration.   I havent wrapped my arms around using the Sequencer editor... though I do use Sequencer templates for every patch I create.  I.E. If I create a patch, I step through the various sequences I have saved off (and there a dozens/hundreds) while I am tweaking the patch, and usually - looking for something to save along with a patch.  Seriously -- if you aren't using Sequences to liven your sounds, you've left some killer functionality at the door.  There are other useful features about the ST editor, but I mentioned those in an earlier post.

At the end of the day...  For me -- this was a good / must-have purchase.  It's something, that perhaps a better coder, or synth guru might not want or need.  It's ripe for an update.  There is a LOT that still feels 'not-quite-finished' about it..  and that's too bad really.   But there is a lot of great functionality / utility in the SoundTower editor.

Joe