The Official DSI/Sequential Forum

Next New DSI Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #600 on: February 07, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
...mangling single cycle (600 samples at 44.1 kHz mono WAV format) wave forms on my Akai S5000. On the Akai it is possible to...

I think there is a perception that because modern computers are so much more powerful than the 80s/90s, that modern samplers are just as good.  But IMO a lot of the architecture of those old Akais, Emus and Ensoniqs hasn't really been repeated in software, and certainly not with the kind of poly aftertouch that made things like the EPS16+ such an expressive instrument.

I would love to see Dave pull something together like those, and maybe blend it with an Evolver or VS.

Shaw

« Reply #601 on: February 07, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
I really do like Nord Synths...shame they are so focused on stage pianos/organs. I think they could be killing it in the digital synth department. Stuff like the Wave and G2 are so unique. Shame the Lead stuff is so expensive...especially since it's VA. Hard for me to justify it.
If youíre talking the Nord Lead 4 or A1, yeah, over-priced.  But you can pick up a Wave or Nord Lead 3 at a decent price.  I actually prefer the NL3 over the NL4 anyway. 
P12  |  P2  |  OB-6  |  Moog Voyager XL  |  Moog Minitaur

« Reply #602 on: February 07, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »
...mangling single cycle (600 samples at 44.1 kHz mono WAV format) wave forms on my Akai S5000. On the Akai it is possible to...

I think there is a perception that because modern computers are so much more powerful than the 80s/90s, that modern samplers are just as good.  But IMO a lot of the architecture of those old Akais, Emus and Ensoniqs hasn't really been repeated in software, and certainly not with the kind of poly aftertouch that made things like the EPS16+ such an expressive instrument.

I would love to see Dave pull something together like those, and maybe blend it with an Evolver or VS.

Agree 100%
Prophet 6, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Moog Sub 37, Tempest Drum Computer, Roland V Piano, Vogel CMI Fairlight Pro App, Kurzweil K2600XS, Korg Kronos, Roland FA-08, Baldwin Upright Piano, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson Chet Atkins SST, Jackson King V, Ibanez Jem, Roger Linn Adrenalinniii

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
« Reply #603 on: February 09, 2018, 02:58:18 AM »

Totally agree, especially if you also consider the workflow.
Dave Smith Instruments Prophet Rev2 and Evolver desktop, Waldorf Blofeld, Roland System-1, Korg Microstation, Nord Rack 2, Akai S5000, Dato DUO, Bitwig v1 and v2. Trying to become daw-less...

https://soundcloud.com/user-252754541